Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Under Construction














So, I've started part of my grand plan and begun hanging around the request forums of TF2Maps
I picked up on a request for construction vehicles, and began to make this logging truck, with the intention of it fitting in with TF2's alpine theme.
Vaguely interesting fact No.1:  The truck is based on the International Harvester "L" and "R" Series.  I won't pretend to know anything about trucks.

This has been an interesting practice in mechanical modelling, so far I've only really tackled buildings and (mostly) organic models.  
It's been quite a smooth and quick process and I've learnt a few new techniques along the way.  The model's almost finished now, it perhaps needs a couple more details on the underside and a seat on the crane (not to mention the requested banjo) and around 1000 polys shaved off, then the models done.
After that I can get down to texturing, as well as creating the collision mesh and LOD models.  I'll probably only make one LOD model, basing this choice over Valve's example of only including one for similar models.
Then comes the joy of Mod Tooling it into Source.  Can't wait.


Another thing I've been working on is a request for a granite texture to be used in a quarry.  It's not coming along too badly, however I keep running into issues with Source being fussy about the specular mask.  I want to make this glitter, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment